Encinitas is striving to achieve zero waste. Zero waste is a materials management approach that first prevents waste and then establishes reuse and recycling policies, programs, and infrastructure for all materials entering the community. The goal is to send the least amount of waste to the landfill by ensuring that resources are used efficiently without waste and excess burden on the environment.
The Encinitas City Council adopted a Climate Action Plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions which includes the implementation of a citywide zero waste program. Through the cap strategy, the city’s goal is to reduce residents’ waste generation to 5.3 pounds per person per day (lbs./person/day) by 2020 and 3.0 lbs./person/day by 2030. Achieving this goal depends on the expansion of recycling and organics recycling programs and participation from residents and businesses to reduce waste and increase diversion.
Track the City’s progress on its zero waste goals on the Climate Dashboard.
View the Organics (Green Waste and Food Waste) page to learn more!.
Step Up Your Sustainability Webinar
Thursday, March 9, 2023 - %00pm - 6:00pm
Whether you’re just starting out on your zero waste journey or you’re looking to level up your sustainable lifestyle, join I Love A Clean San Diego in partnership with the City of Encinitas, on Thursday, March 9th from 5pm-6pm for our free Step Up Your Sustainability webinar!
During the webinar, you’ll learn new zero waste tips to implement in your daily life, including:
- Eco-friendly product swaps
- DIY recipes
- How to compost without an outdoor space
We’ll focus on implementing low waste habits in niche areas of your life, such as pets, hobbies, and the shared spaces of the home. You’ll leave with the knowledge you need to know how to create sustainable habits in your current routines, how to repurpose old items with new uses, and how to properly dispose of the waste you do produce!
Please register to receive the Zoom link: http://bit.ly/40fFzm7
Green Routines Workshop
Saturday, April 15, 2023 - 10:00am - 11:00am
If you’re looking to eliminate waste from your daily routine, join the City of Encinitas and I Love A Clean San Diego for our free Green Routines Workshop on Saturday, April 15th from 10am to 11am at the EUSD Farm Lab! During this workshop, we’ll cover:
- Zero waste practices to adopt in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room and home common areas
- Sustainable product swaps
- Recommendations for local zero waste businesses and shops
Attendees will have the opportunity to make DIY zero waste cleaning and personal care products to take home, and we will also have our Swap and Shop booth open anyone who wants to browse through secondhand clothes, books, toys and other trinkets.
This event will be held in person at the EUSD Farm Lab in Encinitas, please register to attend and receive further details.
We need your help to make Encinitas a little greener! Join the City of Encinitas for the Green Block leader Volunteer Pilot Program. Volunteers will receive a ninety-minute zero waste training and a toolkit of resources. Then, they will use their sustainability knowledge to teach their neighbors and community about how to reduce waste, with a focus on organics recycling.
What will you do as a Green Block Leader?
- Reach out to the community to let them know you are a resource for them.
- Answer questions regarding zero waste, the organics recycling program, and other waste-related sustainability topics.
- Share resources with information about how to reduce waste and how to properly recycle or dispose of materials.
- Distribute information about upcoming events, City news, and offerings.
- Commit to 4 - 8 hours per month of volunteering.
What are the benefits of becoming a Green Block Leader?
- Be a part of the City's exciting new food scraps recycling program for residents and businesses
- Connect with others in Encinitas that care about preserving the environment
- Fight climate change by helping to reduce waste in the community
- Volunteer on your own time
Are you interested in volunteering*?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your Name
- Your Phone Number
- Your Residential Community (New Encinitas, Old Encinitas, Olivenhain, Cardiff, or Leucadia)
City staff will get back to you in early September with information on training sessions.
*Participants must be 18 years or older and a resident of Encinitas.
Encinitas Virtual Earth Week Celebration
The City of Encinitas partnered with EcoFest and other community groups to virtually celebrate Earth Week! Watch the recordings on Facebook Live:
- Monday - Event Kick-off
- Tuesday - Citizen Science: Protect and Monitor Pollinators
- Wednesday - Zero Waste (Instagram post)
- Thursday - City of Encinitas: Organics Recycling, Clean Water, Arbor Day
- Friday - CleanEarth4Kids.org
Organics Recycling Workshop
In partnership with EDCO and in compliance with SB1383, the City of Encinitas launched curbside organic waste pickup in the Summer of 2021. To learn more and hear tips on how to update your household processes to participate in the new program, email email@example.com to access a free recording of the workshop.
Sixth Annual Zero Waste Fair with I Love a Clean San Diego
Here at the City, staff actively reduce the waste generated by daily office activities. The Employee Green Guide is a comprehensive resource to help staff make the most sustainable, economical decisions throughout their work day. City Hall, Public Works, and the Community and Senior Center have composting programs run by staff volunteers to divert food waste and paper towels from the landfill. Detailed signage is placed at waste receptacles throughout City facilities to ensure proper recycling practices and maximum diversion from the landfill. Staff are periodically offered zero-waste educational workshops and challenges to participate in. Despite these achievements, there is always room for improvement and the City of Encinitas will continue to strive each day to reduce the waste footprint of municipal operations!