The Encinitas City Council has identified Economic Development as one of its key strategic areas. Economic Development is important because:
- It creates wealth with community benefits
- Helps attract, retain and expand businesses
- Increases the City’s tax base which helps support, maintain and improves the local infrastructure (streets, community facilities and services).
- An Economic Development focus by the City shows that the City appreciates its businesses and works to create an environment in which they can thrive.
- Provides better job opportunities – more and better local jobs benefit the entire community and provide more job choices for residents, decreasing commuting costs.
- Increases the diversity of the business mix, providing better insulation from economic downturns.
- Economic multiplier effect as dollars spent in the community turn over for the purchase of other goods and services.
- Helps attract businesses to provide a complete shopping experience for residents and visitors.
Your Economic Development Team
In recognition of its importance to the City, Economic Development is managed through the City Manager’s Office. Senior management Analyst, Patrick Piatt, serves as the City’s Economic Development Manager. One of the roles of the Economic Development Manager is to serve as an ombudsperson for businesses navigating the permit process – getting hung up somewhere along the way? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (760) 633-2613.
The City provides support to its four economic development organizations, Cardiff 101, Encinitas 101, Leucadia 101, and the Encinitas Chamber of Commerce. These organizations are the heart of the City’s business community, and are the go-to resources for local knowledge, local marketing opportunities and lease space available.
The City also manages the City Business Portal, where there are many resources and information available about having a business in Encinitas.